Saturday 28 July 2007

Shock, but without the Horror!

Whenever you hear people talking about a film, it's not uncommon to want to see it yourself in order to see what everyone is talking about. In most cases, this often happens when people talk about how good a film is. This week however, I watched a film because of people saying how disgusting, sick, and downright wrong it is. And I'm glad I did.

If you're wondering what film it was I watched this week, it was Dirty Sanchez: The Movie. For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's similar to Jackass, in that it is the movie of a TV show in which a group of people do completely outrageous and dangerous stunts for the entertainment of each other, and the audience at home. Although the scenario is similar, Dirty Sanchez makes Jackass look like children's TV, as it takes things to the extreme, and then caries on going.

Basically the film contains, to name but a few, tattoos in painful places, the consumption of what remains after a liposuction operation, and as if that wasn't enough, Keith Richards as Satan! It is possibly the sickest most disgusting film I have ever seen, and I lost count of how many times it made me cringe. . . . Which is why I loved watching it!

First, let me explain that not everything they do is dangerous or disgusting, some is just immature. For instance, whilst asleep, Pancho is given something of a make over to make him resemble both the Incredible Hulk, and then Mikhail Gorbachev. Silly and immature, but still on the level of something that could be done to anyone whilst asleep. Others however, such as the Beer enema are of an acquired taste.

And this is the reason I loved watching it. Most horror films are lucky if they make me jump, I watched The Exorcist when I was seventeen and wondered what all the fuss was about, and I've been bored watching banned so called 'video nasties'.

Because of my apparent 'immunity' to films that most people wouldn't consider watching, it takes something on the level of Dirty Sanchez to get a reaction from me. For most people, an important part of watching a film is for the different reactions that they can evoke, both good and bad. There are times I have envied people who watch horror films for the purpose of cringing from what they see on the screen, but I think I have finally been able to get a better idea of what it must be like.

Admittedly the fact that what they do is real, completely non-fictional and without the use of special effects helps with the cringe factor, but also because you can't actually believe they are doing some of the things they do. Despite the 'do not try this at home' warning, most people wouldn't try these things simply because of the amount of guts that these stunts need. I must admit that watching a fully grown man mortified if spiders, who cuts of the end of his finger to regain his pride, is actually quite humbling.

I know I wouldn't be able to.

No comments: