Thursday 16 August 2007

A blog about a book . . about a blog.

What with starting my own blog, and being a big fan of pretty much everything Star Trek, I have recently been checking out Wil Wheaton dot net. Best known in most circles as starring in Stand By Me and Star Trek: The Next Generation , Wil Wheaton is now best known in geeky circles as a blogger and published writer, and also as being a fairly big geek himself. Hence the title of his book 'Just A Geek'.

A book which I decided to buy and am really glad I did, as it is one the few books that I have read in one day, and possibly the only one I have read in one go. Based on posts from his blog, the book goes into often very personal detail about many things, most notably his personal battle with what he calls 'Prove To Everyone That Quitting Star Trek Wasn't A Mistake', his need for acceptance and recognition for his own merits, which he often amusingly talks about in the second person.

Chronicling certain events, Wil shares all aspects of his life including his struggles as an actor, the joys of living with his wife and step children, and his mixed reactions to the large impact of Star Trek and its fans. All of which makes for funny, honest and very compelling reading. Certainly the best book I have read recently, and almost possibly the best book I have read in a very long time.

3 comments:

Chrissie said...

Great post! I will have to borrow this book sometime :-)

Deb said...

Hi Ian
It took me a while to realize who Wil Wheaton was until you mentioned "Stand By Me" - that was a great movie (around '86 wasn't it)? and I didn't know he was in Star Trek. This book sounds really good! Great post!

Chrissie said...

Happy New Year! How about some more film reviews for 2008! :-)